This article looks briefly at what you can do to enhance your integrity. I love these quote.
‘If it is not right do not do it; if it is not true do not say it’
‘You do not wake up one morning a bad person. It happens by a thousand tiny surrenders of self-respect to self-interest’Robert Brault (American writer)
Definition of integrity
‘the quality of being honest and having strong moral principles that you refuse to change’
Every day we make decisions that test our integrity and what we believe in. It could be as simple as owning up to an error you have made at work instead of letting somebody else take the blame.
When we make good honest choices with integrity in mind it feels good. Others can see this in us and we grow from strength to strength. When discussing with a friend integrity she said ‘it’s just part of our DNA’.
I think integrity is learned from childhood. We observe it in our parents decision making. We also see the consequences of good integrity. As we develop as individuals and hopefully maintain integrity we will find friends and people in our network who have integrity too. When we live with integrity it feels good.
When it is part of your everyday life it comes through in what you say, how you react and how you feel. It is just something you do when you don’t have to think about it.
How to Improve Integrity
Here are some things you can work on to improve your integrity:
- Identify what you believe in and what matters. I think of the values that you will never compromise about.
- Know yourself well so that you make the right choice even if nobody else is around. People often cut corners when they think nobody else will notice. It is about doing the right thing all the time. If the decision you make feels right it probably is. If you have to try to justify to yourself why you are doing something, you are probably listening to the rational side of yourself and not to your heart.
- Develop your confidence and self- esteem. Mix with people who have integrity. If you have a decision to make and you don’t know what to do think of a role model in your life who has integrity and think how would they deal with it.
- Research has consistently shown that people who have integrity are humble and well liked. They have many benefits from having good close relationships (Hodgins, Koestner, & Duncan, 1996)
- Keep your word, say what you mean and don’t back track later
- Be confident in who you are and stand up for what you believe in
- You don’t need to prove anything – act with integrity and stay humble. You don’t have to stand on a pedestal to get your point heard.
If you need any coaching support contact me